number of students
Behavioral referrals (write ups)
In school suspension
out of school suspension
MAPP scores (Fall and Spring for the past 3 years)
Number of counselors
Number of Administrators
Referrals to police for intervention
Chronic absentee data
All data is requested at the aggregate level therefore no personally identifiable data is being requested.
Responsive to this request, no single report contains all the data sought. A consistent source containing enrollment, demographics, FARMS, academic performance and absentee data will be state-wide reporting as found on the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Data Downloads pages (by year): https://reportcard.msde.maryland.gov/Graphs/#/DataDownloads/datadownload/3/17/6/6/99. This information is presented under the Maryland Report Card as well, which can be sorted by school, grades, student groups, and year, or trends over three years: https://reportcard.msde.maryland.gov/Graphs/#/Demographics/Enrollment/3/M/6/13/XXXX.
Additional statewide reports containing HCPSS student data include enrollment, attendance, habitual truancy, and in- and out-of-school suspensions can be found on the MSDE Student Publications page: https://www.marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DCAA/SSP/Student/20212022.aspx. Historical data can also be found for these same reports: https://www.marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DCAA/SSP/index.aspx
Statewide reporting on student arrests – which includes arrest of a student for any activity conducted on school grounds, during off‐campus school activities (including while taking school transportation), or due to a referral by any school official – is also compiled by MSDE with Howard specific charts which show totals by level and grade: https://marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DSFSS/SSSP/StudentArrest/index.aspx.
In addition to the data reported to the State found under the links above, and the file attached below, the following reports posted on the HCPSS website and/or reported annually to the Board of Education contain information on many of the requested topics including:
- Enrollment Data: https://www.hcpss.org/schools/enrollment-reports/. This page contains both official September 30th enrollment reports as generated for MSDE, as well as monthly reports.
- Class Size Reports: These contain student to teacher ratios by school and subject areas.
- February 2023: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/CNMRL66DA3DE/$file/02%2009%202023%20Class%20Size%20Report%202022-2023%20BR.pdf (middle school starts on page 14).
- January 2022: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/CAEKR5531201/$file/01%2013%202022%20Class%20Size%20Report%202021-2022%20BR.pdf (middle school starts on page 14).
- December 2020: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/BWAKWQ53E2C5/$file/12%2022%202020%20Class%20Size%20Report%202020-2021%20BR.pdf (middle school starts on page 14).
- Disproportionate Discipline Reports: These contain data on suspensions and expulsions including reasons for infractions by grade and race. Please note, the 2023 report is currently being developed and is slated to be presented at the April 27, 2023, Board meeting.
- April 2022: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/CDNQBX688AA6/$file/04%2028%202022%20Disproportionate%20Discipline%20Data%20BR.pdf
- April 2021: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/C2JV3C7EBB43/$file/04%2029%202021%20Disproportionate%20Discipline%20Data%20BR.pdf
- April 2020: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/BNXKPJ5267E9/$file/04%2030%202020%20Disproportionate%20Discipline%20Data%20BR.pdf
Responsive to the request for MAPP scores (Fall and Spring for the past 3 years), no existing report has aggregate data for HCPSS middle school student scores. Please note, under the MPIA process, and as advised in the Sixteenth Edition of the Maryland Public Information Act Manual created by Maryland’s Office of the Attorney General, an agency is only obligated to produce existing records and is not required to generate new data or summarize data. Additionally, aside from referral data related to suspensions which inform the MSDE reports included above on in-and out-of-school suspensions, no existing report contains data on all behavioral/office referrals used by middle schools.